Thursday, March 26, 2009

This IS a real job

Originally posted on my personal blog July 26, 2008.

Just because I work as a candy counter girl in a tourist shop doesn't mean that I'm a high schooler with no ambition. Maybe there's a reason I don't pursue a better job right now...so that I can get a better job faster? Right now, my employment is treating me well (well, that could be questioned =P) I have a good boss, good coworkers, but the best part is the schedule. I can work as much or as little as I want during the school year. So, as I have done the past 2 years, I will be going to school full time and working every couple of days. If I were to work full time elsewhere, I would not be done with my AA degree and would still be floundering around, hoping to pass my classes. Basically, this is the best employment for me right now. I will still get a paycheck but be working on my schooling full time. My boss won't push me to work any more than I want, ever. Where else in town can I get a job like that?

I had a customer tonight who was the icing on the cake after several irritating customers. He was like, "When you grow up, what's your real job going to be?"

I started seething inside.

For one thing, I do have a real job. While it's not a 9-5 office job, it pays my bills and I have worked here for 2 and a half years continuously. I consider that to be a real job to me. I realize that I am still very young. I look young. I work with young coworkers. But. I am a college student. Married and living on my own. I have a steady job. The satisfaction I felt when saying I was working on becoming an accountant and saying I'm halfway there and seeing the surprise on that guy's face was slightly nice, but not really worth having to go through the conversation!

I dunno, it was totally not a big deal, but I do get sick of being treated like I am twelve for working retail.

No comments: